Saturday, May 8, 2010

You Know You Grew Up in India in the 90s When…

Incoming calls for mobiles were 12rs per min!When we used to boast about our NRI relatives living in america and we would always play akad bakad bambe bo.

This is what the community  says which i joined just 5 days ago....The name sounded a bit weird to me.Joined it out of curiosity.But after just 4 days,figured out just how many people were sharing their nostalgic moments they had in the 90's!Those ten years till the millenium arrived were the best of my life,I would cherish them always.That people who went through their childhood started joining the community made sense.53,000 in the last 4 days and counting....

The kids in the 90's had a very different childhood from today's  tinytots.We were not the kind of brats who would sit in front of the TV's or computers playing high-end games or tinker with the Xbox!Our childhood mostly revolved around outdoor games be it funny games like "chain cut","current shock" or more logical and brain teasing games like "brainveeta" or "The business game".All of these are no longer played anymore...

[caption id="attachment_478" align="aligncenter" width="480" caption="Brainvita!"][/caption]

During our summer holidays,I would always request my Dad to get a nintendo video game for rent,with a daily tarrif of 25Rs,not because we could afford it,but the reason being that my mom was worried that Il neglect my studies.So me and my twin brother used to wait and wait,for the exams to finish!And then it started first get the rental nintendo set and start playing em all!I still remember some of them!Contra,Roadracer,galaxy and who could forget super mario!

[caption id="attachment_469" align="aligncenter" width="400" caption="the game where we prevailed over evil!"][/caption]

While I did have some fun time with the rented nintendo box.I was also very much inclined towards other programs which impressed me and made an effect on my TV viewing habits.In the early 90's satellite TV was still infant in India,the only channel to which I was a regular.Some programs revolved around the cultural diversity of India and some others included premiers of bollywood blockbusters.I still remember watching superstar amitab bachan's movies late till midnight in the weekends with my twin brother .Those were some of the "D" times for me!



As the 90's progressed so did the my penchant for other stuff like cartoons and some western soaps!(Indian soaps were still in the nascent stages due to the less satellite channels ).All through my childhood till the mid of 90's the only cartoons we would know about were the mickey and donald duck,the tom and jerry show.Cartoon network changed all that!There were so many zonores to choose from.Be it the power zone in the afternoons,Scooby doo in the evening or the Dexters lab!

[caption id="attachment_472" align="aligncenter" width="500" caption="I miss the Lab!"][/caption]

Doordarshan,the state owned broadcasting channel was my only window to the world.Getting to know about it,and gaining knowledge.It was until discover channel and some others from the same stable which made me to make a switch.Doordarshan started to loose its loyal viewers.Opening up of the Indian skies to foreign airwaves brought a phenomenal change in the way people watch television. While the state run channel still continues to be in my sight for some reasons(especially rocket launches or election news),I think it need to re-invent itself to the likes of the modern day viewer.Since it was a state controlled channel,many programs would include shows and broadcasts which reflected a common Indian's life.(Atleast its not following the same genre of some stupid saas-bahu soaps which are now all over.Kudos to you doordarshan!Your good days will be back!there are 67000 members in Facebook discussing your past right now!







As the 90's came to and end and I entered my teenage,my taste started to change.From the funny looking dexter to the more serious and action packed spiderman,Gi-joe series and the powerzone.To some extent my fondness of fighter jets and planes,rockets must have started  with these shows -Gi-joe,swat cats and Ninja robots!It was not only fun to watch these but also made me to realize how good and bad prevail in this world and why it is important to be in the right track always.

[caption id="attachment_473" align="aligncenter" width="400" caption="Go joe!!!!"][/caption]

From Gi-joe to the knight rider,everything  was capturing my imagination!The concept where a Car is emotionally attached to its owner is really cool.This must be the only show where a car actually cries! A bit weird but it was great overall...Night rider yes we remember you!

Pop culture was brewing up(The Indian Pop culture more so).One of the all time hits in the 90's was the "Made in India" song.Its so famous that people still listen to as far as Uzbekistan in central asia







[caption id="attachment_477" align="aligncenter" width="500" caption="The best film which represented the 90's era"][/caption]

Then at the end of the decade came a plethora of satellite channels,the convergance of TV the PC and the internet.Cartoons were no longer of interest and I inclined more towards News channelsToday at 23,I still feel like going back in time,had it been repeated again-I would happily embrace my past once more!!

The information which describes the whole theme of the community is very interesting and fun.The whole description is given here

12 comments:

  1. Hey, the early 90's were also Doordarshan's last glory days. Shows like 'Dekh Bhai Dekh', 'Karamchand'... what about UGC every afternoon.

    Loved the 90's. Good music also died in the late 90's.... now all they have is Bouncey and Lady Goo Goo.. sigh!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes,I only had doordarshan even after the Cable TV network started growing.Was a regular viewer of dekh bhai dekh,surabhi,ek se badkar ek and chitrahaar :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome post !!!

    In those TV was a luxury .. and we didn't have any .. we used to stand outside our neighbors house and peep thru the window to get a glimpse of TVC like SWABHIMAN etc ..

    I always used to wait for sunday morning.. RANGOLI was on my fav and followed by Cartoons like .. SINDABAD etc

    Still rejoice thinking bout those days

    BTW whats the name of the FB group u were talkin about .. can i have link ???

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks!

    While we did have a TV at home(Very old weston TV!).Only had doordarshan to watch :). I used to go to my aunt's home for the rest of those cable TV channels!.Here is the facebook link

    http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/You-Know-You-Grew-Up-in-India-in-the-90s-When/111238285575528?ref=ts

    ReplyDelete
  5. :)

    Nice to see this post.


    -Admin of that facebook page. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It was really a cool idea of yours...starting that page.Kudos!

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow man great article..iam 23 too and grew up in india...think u read my mind and wrote this article....i miss thoses days...didnt had a care in the world...would give anything to 12 again lol...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, they were the coolest days those 10 years! I would rather give up 20 years of my life If I could go back again!

    ReplyDelete
  9. 90's were the best. wish it could come back to me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. 9o's ke wo din nahi bhulte ,dhul bhari garmiyon me school se aakar school bag phenkar bistar per chad jaana , shaam ko television start kar program's ko dekhene ke live zabardast exited hona , saturday ki sham koraat tak tv dekhna aur agle din sunday ko rangoli ke liye jaldi uthna, wo befikri pata nahi kaha gayi , wo acche bure ka khayal na karna , duniya daari ki samaz na hona sirf apni ek alag anokhi ajeeb duniya me rahna bahot yaad aata hai aata rahega , wo din ab waapas nahi aayengey per ek kavita se shayad aapko samaz aayega ye kya hai,

    apne yug mai sabko anupam gyaat hui apni haala,
    apne yug mai sabko adbhut gyaat hua apna pyaala,
    phir bhi vraddho se jab yah puncha ek yahi uttar paya ,
    AB NA RAHE WO PEENE WALE AB NA RAHI WO MADUSHAALA.......

    ReplyDelete
  11. nice 1... loved it completely..... its like we all have same stories with all the different tastes we had in our time in 90's .. love the time and days......

    ReplyDelete